As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2. 他的女友劝他趁抽烟的坏习惯尚未根深蒂固之前把它改掉。(take hold)
His girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid of his bad habit of smoking
before it took hold.
Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next
few months, they have decided to increase its production.
It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s
5. 据报道地方政府已采取适当措施避免严重缺水（water shortage）的可能性。（avoid,severe）
It is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the
possibility of a severe water shortage.
6. 半个小时过去了，但末班车还没来。我们只好走回家。（go by）
Half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. We had to
Since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the
8. 玛丽看上去对汉语考试很担心，因为她还没背熟课文。（learn by heart）
Mary seems to be very worried about the Chinese exam because she
hasn’t learned the texts by heart.
9. 整个二次世界大战期间他一直和父母住在澳大利亚。（all the way）
He stayed in Australia with his parents all the way through WWⅡ.
10. 自1985年从南京大学毕业至今，可以说我与我的大学同学失去了联系。（kind of，lose touch）
Since I graduated from Nanjing University in 1985, I have kind of lost
touch with my classmates.
As is predicted by scientists, global pollution has become one of the most
serious problems humans are faced with.
Competition for these jobs is very tough -we have five times as many
applicants this year as we did last year
13. 正如事实表明的那样，教育大纲应该符合国家的经济发展计划。（fit into）
As the facts show, educational programs need to fit into the national plan
for economic development.
14. 这辆汽车太费油（burn too much gas），而且价钱几乎是我想付的两倍。
The car burns too much gas, and moreover, the price is almost twice as
much as I intend to pay.
To understand a great international event, we, first of all, need to
consider the historical and political background to it.
It is reported that UN mediators have worked out a plan which they hope
will be acceptable to both sides.
Doris walked in the forest cautiously, afraid of being attacked by giant snakes.
（property）18. 地震、台风和其他自然灾害（disaster）无法防止，但可采取行动保护生命财产。Earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disasters cannot be prevented,
but action can be taken to protect life and property.
I bought a new issue of my favorite sports magazine and hurried home,
anxious to amuse myself reading it.
（confidence）20. 海伦缺乏信心。我从未遇到过想她那样没有自信的（unsure of oneself）人。
Helen lacks confidence. I’ve never known anyone so unsure of herself.
21. 我不太清楚哪儿你能找到个好木工（carpenter）--你最好四处打听打听。（ask around）I’m not sure where you can find a good carpenter---you’d better ask
Feeling a little embarrassed, he quickly cleared his throat and looked up
at the painting on the wall.
Michael was survived by three sons, two daughters, and his wife Elizabeth. 24. 作为金融专家，威廉建议我们投资股票市场。（stock）
As a financial expert, William advised us to invest our money in the stock market.
25. 我们这些小零售商（retailer）无法和超市在价格和销售等方面竞争。（compete）We small retailers can’t compete with supermarkets in pricing and sales.
Before I went off to university, my grandfather gave me a few words of wisdom which impressed me deeply.
27. 千万别把我的伤势告诉我父母，我会很感激你的。(be grateful to sb for sth.) Never tell my parents about my injuries and I’ll be very grateful to you (for it).
At the meeting some of our colleagues put forward sensible suggestions
about improving our working environment.
29. 迫于工作压力，资方（management）同意给工人增加10%的工资。（in response to）
The management has/have agreed to grant the workers a 10% pay rise in response to union pressure.