1. 你愿意把你的经验和组里的其他人分享吗？(share sth with sb)
Would you like to share your experience with the rest of the group?
2. 你父亲如果还健在的话，他会为你骄傲的。(be proud of)
If your father were still alive, he would be very proud of you.
3. 她开车转弯上了自家的车道(driveway)，不料发现路已被堵塞(block)。(only to)
She turned up the driveway, only to fi nd her way blocked.
4. 他没有告诉任何人就走了，因为他不想卷入那件事。(get involved in)
He went away without telling anyone, because he didn’t want to get involved in that matter.
5. 最终，产品的成功还是取决于高明的销售手段(marketing)。(ultimately) Ultimately, the success of the product depends on good marketing.
1. 我发觉自己对英语口语有着浓厚的兴趣。(find... doing)
I found myself having great interest in spoken English.
Driving on the expressway, I realized that enormous changes had taken place in China's highway system in recent years.
3. 我简直不敢相信他这么快就学会了操作计算机。(can hardly believe; work)
I can hardly believe that he has learned how to work a computer so quickly / in such
a short time.
4. 三年的时光已经过去，这一刻终于来临了：不到两周我就要回国了。(in less than)
Three years have passed by and the fi nal moment has come. / After three years, the time has come. In less than two weeks, I will return home / go back to my country. 5. 许多我认识的人都迫不及待地想要出国，而我却宁愿和家人一起呆在国内。(can't wait)
I know a lot of people who can't wait to go abroad, but I prefer to stay with my family in my own country.
1. 我们急匆匆地赶到火车站，结果发现火车刚刚开走。(only to)
We hurried to the railway station, only to find the train had just left.
2. 你和你哥哥都不是细心的人，你们两个都不能做这件需要细心和技巧的工作。You are no more careful than your brother. You two can’t do the work that needs care and skill.
3. 多一个人参会对会议安排不会有什么影响。(make a difference)
One more person wouldn’t make any difference to the meeting arrangements.
He worked till late last night, or rather, early in the morning.
“A couple of other books are also worthy of mention,” added the professor after giving us a long list of reference books.
1. 并不是我不喜欢那个工作，而是我没有时间去做。(not that …but that)
Not that I dislike that job, but that I have no time to do it.
2. 成功不是没有惧怕，而逆境也不是没有希望。(not ... without)
Success is not without fear, and adversity is not without hope.
3. 如果你就想要一份工作，我可以给你提供。(if ... what)
I could get you a job here if that’s what you want.
4. 他们的钱花完了，不得不放弃这个项目。(run out)
They ran out of money and had to abandon the project.
5. 直到1972年这个建设项目才最终结束。(It is not until ... that)
It was not until 1972 that the construction project finally came to an end.
1. 这钢琴有些不对劲，但是我无法说清楚。(put one's finger on)
Something is wrong with the piano, but I can't put my finger on what it is.
Apart from being too large, the trousers don't match my jacket, either.
I love pop music, for whatever reasons.
4. 他对外国文化怀有浓厚的兴趣，经常博览群书以寻找有用的信息。(browse through)
He has great interest in foreign cultures, often browsing through piles of books to look for any useful information.
Opinions on whether we should open up a new society vary a great deal.
1. 要去那座岛，除了搭船以外，别无他法。(other than)
You can't get to the island other than by boat.
Some students are crazy about pop music while others prefer classical music.
3. 传媒(media) 在引领时尚方面正起着越来越重要的作用。(play a ... role) The media are playing an increasingly important role in leading fashions and trends.
4. 我千方百计想弄到一张他新发行(issue)的唱片(album)，却未能如愿。(try every means)
I tried every means to get a copy of his newly issued album, but failed.
5. 要是没有朋友的鼓励和帮助，我可能已经辍学了。(If ... not / Without) Without the encouragement and help of my friends, I would have quit school.
1. 我已经把我的简历和附函传真给了那家公司，但尚未收到回复。(résumé; cover letter; fax)
Answer:I have faxed my résumé and a cover letter to that company, but I haven’t received a reply yet.
2. 当别人遇到困难时，约翰会毫不犹豫地提供帮助。(not hesitate for a second) Answer:John will not hesitate for a second to offer help when others are in trouble.
3. 我得承认我很想到国外工作和学习一段时间，但我知道要拿到签证并不容易。Answer:I have to admit that I desire very much to work or study abroad for some time but I know it is not easy to get a visa.
4. 他到伦敦2年后才在一家国际银行找到一份工作。(It was not until ... that ...) Answer:It was not until 2 years after he arrived in London that he found / took a job in an international bank.
After fi nishing his teaching, Tom traveled throughout China for 2 months before returning home in America.
It was the first time for the freshmen to attend an American professor's lecture, and they had trouble understanding what he was talking about for the first twenty minutes.
2. 还剩10分钟，既然你已经做完考题，也可以现在交卷。(now that)
There are still ten minutes left. Now that you have finished your test you may hand it in now.
3. 为了不伤害任何人的感情，他们花了近3个月的时间才作出最后决定。(it took ... before)
It took them nearly three months before they made their final decisions without hurting anybody's feelings.
It is appropriate for Chinese college students to learn at least one foreign language
before they graduate so that they can keep up with the world advanced science and technology.
5. 史密斯先生是一个勤奋的电影导演，同时也是一个有责任心的父亲。(at the same time)
Mr. Smith was a hard-working movie director and at the same time he was a responsible father.
The audience must have missed their musical performance, or they would have spoken highly of it.
2 尽管她远在他乡，不知怎么她总能感觉到母亲的深切关怀。(somehow, sense) Somehow she could sense her mother’s deep concern though she was far away from home.
3. 这位接线员每天从家里到工作地点路上要花两个小时左右。The operator had to spend two hours or so on her way from her home to the workplace every day.
4. 他感激她的同情和理解，因为在当时对他来说这意味着许多。(appreciate) He appreciated her sympathy and understanding, which meant a lot to him during that time.
5. 她终于来到电话亭，投入硬币后便开始往巴黎拨打电话。(finally, dial)
She finally arrived at a telephone booth and put in the coins before dialing Paris.
1. 你电脑用得越熟练，你找到担任秘书工作的可能性就越大。(the more ... the more ...)
The better you can use a computer, the more likely you are to find a job as a secretary.
2. 他喜欢通过电子邮件而不是通过电话和同事分享信息。(share ... with; rather than)
He likes to share information with his colleagues by email rather than by telephone.
3. 对美国人来说，生活在一个没有汽车的地方是不可思议的。(imagine doing) For Americans, it’s hard to imagine living in a place where there are no cars.
4. 一项调查显示，三成大学毕业生在毕业五年内买房靠父母。(depend on)
A survey shows that thirty percent university graduates depend on their parents to buy an apartment within five years after graduation.
5. 这些日子他一直在忙于寻找有效的网址。(be involved in; seek out)
These days he has been involved in seeking out effective websites.
1. 这些天老下雨，看起来就像春天似的It looks like spring, because it keeps raining theses days.
2. 他们答应课后马上打扫教室卫生。(promise to do)
They promised to do classroom cleaning as soon as the class was over.
3. 所有学生都被他献身教育事业的精神深深打动。(devotion to)
All the students are deeply moved by his devotion to the cause of education.
4.人人都应当努力工作，这一信念深深植根于我们的文化之中。(be ingrained in) The belief that everyone should work hard is ingrained in our culture.
5.警察设法帮助这个小男孩联系上了他的父母。(get connected with)
The police managed to help the little boy get connected with his parents.
Only by studying diligently can you expect to land an ideal job after graduation from college.
2. 根据最近的一项调查，很少有年轻人愿意给家人写信。(according to) According to a recent survey, few young people would like to write letters to their family members.
3. 我们不应该经常想自己为别人做了什么，而应当记得别人为我们做了什么。(but instead, keep in mind)
We shouldn’t often think what we have done for others, but instead we should keep in mind what the others have done for us.
4. 他急匆匆地要去机场，我还没来得及把那本英汉词典给他。(such ... that)
He was in such a hurry to go to the airport that I did not have time to give him the English- Chinese dictionary.
The most important is that she should translate her ideas into actions.
1. 这次贸易谈判非常成功，这对双方都有着特别大的好处。(be beneficial to) The trade negotiation is a big success, which can be uniquely benefi cial to both parties.
2. 我们班的同学都以某种方式参加过学生会组织的活动。(involve, one way or another)
Our classmates have been involved, one way or another, in the activities organized by the Student Union.
It’s one of the most desirable jobs available to a man without higher education.
Doing research can spur undergraduate students’ independent t hinking and effective learning.
5. 学费每年都在上涨，这已成为贫困家庭学生很重的负担。(constitute, poverty-stricken)
The cost of tuition continues to climb each year, which has constituted a heavy burden upon students from poverty-stricken areas.
1. 新时代要求劳动者要有创造性，而不是一味忠诚于雇主。(rather than)
The new era calls for creativity among the work force, rather than just loyalty to the employer.
The shipping company, starting with nothing in 1952, has bloomed into a leading enterprise in the shipping industry.
3. 海尔成功的关键之一在于(lie in) 它有一套为全球所羡慕和仿效的管理体系。(emulate)
Haier’s success lies in its management system that has been envied a nd emulated worldwide.
The joint venture has set a goal of increasing this year’s total sales by 50%.
5. 我曾多次尝试戒烟，但要彻底戒掉却很难。(for good)
I’ve tried to stop smoking several times, but it’s really diffi cult for me to quit smoking for good.
1. 罗伯特·彭斯(Robert Burns) 在诗中把他所钟情的女孩比作玫瑰花。(compare...to)
In his poem, Robert Burns compares the girl he loves to a rose.
2. 无论你多忙，你都应该抽时间回学校参加同学聚会。(no matter how)
No matter how busy you are, you should try to make it back to the class reunion.
3. 离婚后她需要一个能给她安慰的人。(a shoulder to cry on)
After her divorce she needed a shoulder to cry on.
He graduated 20 years ago, so he could barely recognize his former classmates.
Nothing can replace the friendship between intimate friends.
1. 情人节之前，他在花店为自己的心上人提前预定了一束玫瑰花。(in advance) He ordered a bunch of roses for his sweetheart in advance from the fl orist for Valentine’s Day.
She couldn't endure to live in loneliness and solitude after her husband's death.
3. 如果我弄清楚她的地址，我会马上转告你。(Should I ever...)
Should I ever find out her address, I'll forward it to you immediately.
4. 如果你想让她高兴的话最好带上巧克力。(in case, cheer up)
You'd better bring some chocolates with you in case you want to cheer her up.
5. 这是一本非常有趣而浪漫的小说, 它一定能引起你的兴趣。(provoke) This is such an amusing romantic novel; it should certainly provoke your interest.