With his promotion ,he has taken on greater responsibilities.
2. 他感到他再没有必要对约翰承担这样的责任。(make a commitment)
He felt he did not have to make such a commitmentto John any more .
3. 闲暇时玛丽喜欢外出购物，与她相反，露茜却喜欢呆在家里看书。(as opposed to)
Mary likes go to shopping in her spare time ,as opposed to Lucy, who prefers to stay at home reading.
4. 充其量可以说他有抱负，用最糟糕的话来说，他是一个没有良心(conscience)或没有资格的权力追求者。(at best, at worst)
At best he's ambitious,at worst a power-seeker without conscience or qualifications .
5. 我们已尽全力说服他，但是却毫无进展。(strive，make no headway)
We have striven to the full to convince him,but we have made no headway.
1. 要是他适合当校长，那么哪个学生都可以当。(no more...than)
He is no more fit to be a headmaster than any schoolboy would be.
2. 至于她的父亲，她不敢肯定是否会接收她和她的小孩。(as for)
As for her father, she is not sure whether he will accept her and her baby.
Staying up late will undermine one's health while going to bed early and getting up early will benefit it.
The ambassador personally conveyed the president's message to the premier.
5. 这个女孩决定敞开心扉，把她看见的一切都告诉警方。(open up)
The girl decided to open up and tell the police what she had seen.
It is simply unbelievable for him to charge 500 dollars for a haircut.
People grant you the privilege, so you should serve the people wholeheartedly.
3. 天气预报很重要，依据它我们才能决定什么时候出航。(so that)
The weather forecast is very important so that we can decide when to go to sea.
The sound of guns violated the usual calm of Sunday morning, and people had a strong feeling that the war was coming.
5. 即使你每分钟看3页，到本周末你无论如何也看不完这本书。(even though)
Even though you read three pages per minute, you will by no means finish the book by the end of this weekend.
Young as my sister is, she already knows for sure what career she is going to follow.
My uncle, whose photo I showed you yesterday, will come to see us this afternoon.
3. 正是由于英语这门语言的功能非常灵活，才使得英语成为一种全球性的语言。(It is ...that...)
It is because of its very functional flexibility that makes English become a global language. 4. 我们很高兴代表我们研究中心向你们海外客人致意。(in the name of)
In the name of our research center we are very glad to pass on our greetings to you，our overseas guests.
This new engine is superior to the old ones in that it consumes much less fuel.
1.他们登上的飞机起飞后立刻就消失了。(soar, out of sight)
The airplane they boarded soared out of sight as soon as it took off.
2. 在会上,保守派反对提出的改革建议。(in opposition to)
At the meeting, the two sides had a very hot debate. The reformers put forward many reforming measures, but conservatives were in opposition to the proposed changes.
3. 从长远看,我们必须学习更多的科技知识，除了我们的专业课程之外，懂得计算机、英语和驾驶是我们工作中必不可少的。(in a long run)
In the long run, we should learn more about science and technology. Besides the major subject, the knowledge of computers, English and driving is necessary in our work.
4. 为练成完美的体型,她每周做四次健身操。(in quest)
She does gymnastic exercises four times a week in quest to achieve the perfect body.
5.每天早晨，一些老人在公园里一边锻炼身体一边聊天。(at the same time)
Every the morning in the park some old people are doing physical exercises there, chatting with each other.
1.她将她的少年时代描绘成一个幻想和发现的时期。(portray ... as)
She portrayed her childhood as a time of wonder and discovery.
2. 试验表明，不抽烟的人比抽烟的人在工作中犯的错误要少。(fewer... than) Experiments showed that non-smokers committed fewer errors than smokers.
3.球迷经常受到人们的重视，不是因为他们自身的成功，二十因为他们支持的球队获得了胜利。(not ... but)
Football fans are often highly regarded not for their own achievement, but through their connection to a team that wins.
4. 尽管演技高超，这部长达3个小时的电影还是未能抓住我们的注意力。(despite) Despite the wonderful acting, the three-hour movie could not hold our attention.
Professor Wang is the only doctor I can rely on to save my son.
1.虽然他说他为此事做了很多努力，但他的成功至少部分是由于他运气好。(in part) Although he said he had done a lot for the case, his success was at least in part due to luck.
The issue to be discussed is critical, because it will determine the future of many people.
3. 我将尽量避免将我的观点强加于别人。(impose ...on)
I’ll try my best to avo id imposing my ideas on others.
4.在那种情况下，很少有人能够正视自己性格上的缺点。(rarely, face up to)
Rarely can people face up to the defects in their own characters in such a situation.
5.大学生活被称为人的一生中最美丽的阶段。(refer to... as)
College life is referred to as the most beautiful per iod of one’s life.
No matter what difficulties we come across, we should try our best to overcome them.
Respecting the old and caring for the young is a traditional Chinese virtue.
3. 今天，各行各业的人都在努力提高自己的知识水平以便跟上时代的发展。(all walks of life) Today, people from all works of life are trying to acquire more knowledge to keep pace with the development of our times.
4. 孩子们特别喜欢卡通片。(have a fancy for; take a fancy to)
Children take a fancy to cartoons.
5. 考虑到他们缺乏经验，这工作他们做得不错。(given that)
Given that they are lacking in experience/inexperienced/green hand, they have done a good job.