Unit 1 Fresh Start
It distressed me a great deal to hear the news that he had suffered repeated failures.
2. 他虽然失去了老板的欢心，但仍然装出一副高兴的样子。（assume）He assumed an air of cheerfulness, even though he lost favor with his boss.
Gulliver met with extraordinary adventures and saw a strange assortment of people.
He will be furious with you if you repeat the same mistake.
We were all greatly drawn by his frank views, humorous words and genial manner.
6. 等到雷鸣般的掌声平息下来，那位诺贝尔奖获得者开始演讲。(die dawn)
After the thunderous applause died down, the Nobel Prize winner began his speech.
Unit 2 Tyranny of the Urgent
Memories of his childhood haunted him.
2. 需要更多的志愿者来完成这项辛苦的工作。 (exacting)
More volunteers are needed to finish the exacting work.
3. 住房是我首先要解决的事情。 (priority)
Housing ranks first on my list of priorities.
Father rebuked his son for being lazy.
5. 富兰克林(Franklin) 在《致富之路》(The Way to Wealth) 中给了读者许多有关取得现世成功的格言。 (maxim)
In his The Way to Wealth, Franklin gave readers many maxims on how to achieve earthy success.
His imperious manner was more than I could bear.
The fire devoured the forests.
The newspaper won’t accept any deceptive advertisements.
Unit 3 Chinese Food
1. 你应该事先告诉我你将去美国深造。（in advance）
You should have told me in advance that you would further your studies in America.
He lavished too much care on his grandchildren.
3. 各种新技术产业已经兴起。（spring up）
Various new technology industries have sprung up.
4. 许多英语单词由拉丁语、希腊语和法语派生而来。（derive from）Many English words derive from Latin, Greek and French words.
A philosopher holds that contradictory oppositions are ubiquitous.
6. 他的仁慈善良是他本性中不可缺少的一部分。（part and parcel）His kindness is part and parcel of his nature.
He is possessed of phenomenal memory and intelligence.
He is fastidious about his food and clothes.
Unit 4 Why I Want a Wife
1. 这个公司主要是由刚刚从学校毕业的年轻人组成的。（fresh from）This company is mostly composed of young people fresh from school.
2. 我从未想到他会做这种事情。（it occurs to some one that）
it never accrued to me that he would ever do such a thing.
3. 在必要时，我会尽力去说服他的。（if need be）
I’ll try my best to persuade him if need be.
4. 在毕业后，我要与同学保持联系很困难。（keep track）
It is difficult to keep track of my fellow students after graduation.
5. 谁将负责宴席后的甜食？（see to）
Who is going to see to the desserts after dinner?
Don’t bother your boss with such trifles.
My work was to replenish our stock time and again.
8. 他经常把书房搞得乱七八糟。（clutter up）
He often clutters up his study.
Unit 5 The Company Man
My immediate boss is a typical workaholic, for he works over ten hours each day all the year round.
The principle attaches much importance to extracurricular activities and he believes that they will help to cultivate students’ tremendous interest in the external world.
He always grabs a shower, a sandwich and then a taxi to go to work every Monday morning.
4. 既然你要离开公司了，你要在本周内清算账目。（straighten out）Since you are leaving the company, you should strengthen out the accounts within the week.
5. 为了及时完成他的博士论文，他经常熬夜。 (stay up)
He often stays up late at night in order to finish writing his Ph.D. dissertation on time.
Nothing can replace the profoundest love in one’s heart of hearts.
He is considered a natural for the post of the president, for he has been an excellent vice-president for almost ten years.
8. 他实在太普通了，在人群中不会被挑选出来。（pick out）
He is just common to be picked out from the crowd.
Unit 6 Knowledge and Wisdom
1. 结果超出了他们的预料。 (surpass)
The result surpasses their expectations.
2. 我们应该考虑这个项目的费用。（take account of）
We should take account of the cost of the project.
3. 好天气是这次远征科学考察成功的原因之一。（contribute to）
The fair weather contributed to the success of the scientific expedition.
Ronaldo, one of the football stars from Brazil, scored several spectacular goals in 2002 FIFA World Cup.
5. 罗伯特?弗罗斯特（Robert Frost）由于对诗歌的杰出贡献而被美国许多大学授予名誉学位。（confer ... upon）
Many honorary degrees from different colleges and universities in America were conferred upon Robert Frost for his remarkable contributions to poetry.
6. 摆脱坏习惯需要耐心和毅力。（emancipation from...）
Patience and perseverance are required in emancipation from bad habits.
They try to instill such new ideas into students’ minds.
You should demonstrate impartiality in your assessment of the employees. Unit 7 The Chaser
To me, you are definitely more than an acquaintance.
2. 对这个地区，许多手工艺（artisan）经营各种各样的手工艺品。（deal in）
Many artisans deal in a variety of handicrafts in the region.
3. 他们为这次意外的成功而感到欣喜若狂。（go into raptures）
They went into raptures over the unexpected success.
Much to my surprise, he analyzed with detachment the dangerous situation that threatened all of them.
She peered at the stranger from behind the curtain.
6. 假日里，他在海滩上尽情享受日光浴的快乐。（indulge in）
During the holidays, he indulged in the luxury of a bath of sunshine on the beach.
7. 听到他去世的噩耗，她不胜悲哀。（be overwhelmed）
When she learnt the news of his death, she was overwhelmed with grief.
8. 我不赞成用分期付款的方式买房子，恰恰相反，我认为，我们每一个人都应该为不时之需存点钱。（save up）
I’m not in favor of buying a house in the installment plan; instead, I maintain that every one of us should save up for a rainy day.
Unit 8 Fun, Oh Boy. Fun. You Could Die from It
It goes without saying that Shakespeare overshadows all the other playwrights throughout the ages.
2. 《了不起的盖茨比》（The Great Gatsby）被普遍认为是美国上世纪爵士时代的缩影。（epitome）
The Great Gatsby is commonly deemed as the epitome of the Jazz Age of the last century in America.
3. 你最好不要对他去哈佛大学深造的热情泼冷水。（put a damper on）It is advisable for you not to put a damper on his enthusiasm to further his studies at Harvard.
4. 年轻人容易盲目崇拜迷人的体育和娱乐圈明星。（make a fetish of）Young people tend to make a ferish glamorous stars in sports and entertainment circles.
5. 他们一路闲逛，漫步来到人民广场参加国庆庆祝活动。（traipse）They traipsed all the way to the People’s Square for the celebration of the National Day.
6. 他没有犯什么大错或大罪，不该受到如此严厉的惩罚。（deserve）He does not deserve such severe punishment as he has committed neither serious errors nor grave crimes.
7. 我每次遇到他，他总是说一大堆无聊的话。（a whole lot of）Every time I met him, he would talk a whole lot of nonsense.
He said that reputation is a trap into which many people are ready to fall. Unit 9 On Becoming a Better Student
1. 他的父母对他有很高的期望，他感到压力很大。（feel weighted）He felt heavily weighted with such high expectations from his parents.
He interpreted the incidents in a favorable light.
3. 我很讨厌他，因为他经常特别喜欢诽谤他人。（go out of one’s way）
I detest him, for he often goes out of his way to backbite others.
Many religious teachings urge people to transcend the mundane success.
Personal initiative is one of the essential elements in promoting your career.
I don’t think it is a good method of teaching to spoon-feed students.
I will spare no efforts to accomplish the task by the end of the next month, for
I don’t want to suffer from the stigma of having broken my promise.
I’ve got much information pertinent to the new policies in education.
Unit 10 The Wonderful Lousy Poems
1. 她过去享受惯了最好的。（nothing short of）
She was used to nothing short of the best.
2. 我对你的意思一点也不明白。（have no idea）
I have no idea ( as to ) what you mean.
3. 虽然群众对他的决定高声提出抗议，裁判仍坚持他的立场。（hold one’s ground）
The referee held his ground although his decision was hotly contested by the crowd.
4. 他的演讲激发了群众的情绪。（work up）
His speech worked up the feelings of an audience.
5. 最后他开始了解真相。（dawn on）
The truth at last dawned on him.
6. 苏珊要做的事太多了以致没有好好地做作业。（do justice to）Susan had so many things to do that she could not do justice to her lessons. Unit 11 The real Truth about Lies
1. 当哈姆雷特拿不定主意该采取什么行动时，他就装疯。(feign) Hamlet feigned madness when he was hesitating what to do.
2. 搪塞是这个商人不喜欢使用的技巧之一。（prevarication）Prevarication is one of the techniques this businessman likes to employ.
Sometimes the light of the truth is just too dazzling, so white lies are ubiquitous.
4. 美国许多妇女声称他们对自己二等公民的地位感到不满。（profess）Many women in America profess that they are unhappy with their status of second-class citizens.
5. 一时冲动之下，他脱口说出了秘密。（blurt out）
On the impulse of the moment, he blurted out the secret.
You should get rid of any prejudice, resist temptations and let nothing warp your judgment.
7. 他是一个过于敏感和富于想象力的人，经常在头脑里组织一张复杂的网络。（a tangled web）
Being over-sensitive and imaginative, he often weaves a tangled web in mind.
8. 他在伙伴中很受欢迎，因为他总是设法不去麻烦别人。（spare）He is very popular among his peers as he always tries to spare others any trouble.
Unit 12 Out of Step
The university is one of the most venerable institutions of higher education in the world.
If one is deficient in practical experience, he can hardly make himself a success with only what he has acquired in class.
I felt exasperated by constant interruptions, for I had to finish wring the monograph by the end of this week.
4. 他认为用旧文体来写一个当代的主题是滑稽可笑的。（ludicrous）He feels that it is ludicrous to write about a contemporary topic in an ancient
The Bund in Shanghai was a place where young couples liked to come to coo in the 70’s and the 80’s of the last century
His daughter is very sedate for a girl of about ten, for she likes reading more than playing.
7. 当第一抹阳光洒向大地的时候，这对情人手拉手，在乡村的大道上散步。 (stroll)
The couple strolled hand-in-hand along the country road when the sun in its first splendor steeped the earth.
8. 这个诗人在世时被普遍认为是一个怪癖的浪漫天才。（eccentric）The poet was commonly considered as an eccentric genius when alive.
Unit 13 A Magic Circle of Friends
1. 昨天晚上我们看电影看到很晚. (stay up)
We stayed up (late) to watch a film last night.
2. 当我们周围有人的时候你最好不要讲这件事。 (company)
I’d rather you don’t mention it when we’re in company.
3. 在怀孕的最初的几个月里，大部分妇女早上都会恶心。 (pregnancy) Most women feel sick in the mornings during their first months of pregnancy.
4. 我喜欢这份工作，而且更让人开心的是单位离家很近。 (bonus)
I love the job, and it’s a bonus that it’s so close to home.
5. 我曾想我会试着自己酝酿的。 (shot)
I thought I’d have a shot at making mw own wine.
6. 在上中学的时候她的智力开发比较慢，直到进了大学，她的才能才展露出来。 (late bloomer)
At school she was a late bloomer, and it wasn’t until she went to university that her talents became apparent.
Unit 14 Father Forgets
1. 当他得知他儿子被绑架时，一种毛骨悚然的恐惧感从心头掠过。(sweep over)
When he learnt that his son had been kidnapped, a deadly fear swept over him.
2. 这位严厉的父亲对女儿很晚才回家感到十分生气。 (be cross about) The strict father was very cross about his daughter staying out so late.
3. 他由于积习成癖的懒惰和迟到而遭到严厉责备。 (reprimand)
He was severely reprimanded for his chronic laziness and lateness.
4. 英国浪漫主义诗人华尔斯所强调的要点之一是在静谧中涌上的自发情感。 (spontaneous)
One of the point Wordsworth, an English romantic poet, emphasizes is the spontaneous emotion recollected in tranquility.
5. 他是一个成功的领袖，因为当他表现出决心的时候，总是考虑到种种困难。 (resolve)
He is a successful leader, for when he shows resolve, he never fails to dwell on difficulties.
Little girls often visualize angels as pure and kind children with wings from the heavens.
7. 他带他的女友去听音乐会，以努力弥补自己对她的粗鲁态度。 (atone for)
He tries to atone for his rude behavior toward his girlfriend by taking her to the concert.
8. 他承认他曾经想做海盗，这使我大吃一惊 (confession)
His confession that he had thought of becoming a pirate was a great shock to me.
Unit 15 The Roots of Happiness: Am Empirical Analysis
1. 张教授的发言强调英语学习中坚实基础的重要性。 (highlight)
The speech made by Professor Zhang highlighted the importance of the solid foundation in learning English.
2. 人们认为，抽烟和肺癌之间有着相互联系。 (correlation)
It is believed that there is a correlation between smoking and lung cancer. 3. 应该承认，他有着我们都没有的勇气和毅力。 (admittedly) Admittedly, he has courage and stamina which we lack.
4. 我们应该努力如实地来观察事物。 (in...perspective)
We should try to see things in their true perspective.
5. 我信任他，因为他总是言行一致。 (consistent with)
I trust him, because what he says is always consistent with what he does.
6. 尽管他们两人年龄悬殊，但是却非常融洽。 (disparity)
Both of them are in perfect harmony despite the great disparity in age.
7. 不管是什么年龄，什么性别，什么肤色，每个人都有幸福的权利。(regardless of)
Everyone has the right to happiness regardless of their age, sex, or color.
8. 与纽约城相比，这个海边城镇是很小的。 (relative to)
Relative to the city of New York, the town on the sea is very small.
Unit 16 “Take Over, Bos'n”
1. 一个生活在恐惧边缘的人是不可能感到快乐的。 (close quarters)
A man living at close quarters with fear can not possibly feel happy.
2. 他心里感到很不舒畅，因为在他刚刚出版的书的许多页面上都有明显的错误。 (glare)
He felt greatly depressed, for misprints glared from so many pages of his newly published book.
3. 一个工于心计的人喜欢玩诡计，但往往没有大智慧。 (calculating)
A man of calculating nature likes to play tricks, but tends to lack much wisdom.
4. 老人感到纳闷，为什么这么多姑娘想当流行歌曲明星。 (crave)
The old man is wondering why so many girls crave to become pop music stars.
5. 我认为抓住别人的错误不放是一种不人道的行为。 (pounce upon)
I consider it an inhumane act to pounce upon other’s blunders.
He often taunted his brother in an arrogant voice and called the latter an ignorant coward.
7. 在酷暑中，那个身体虚弱的姑娘突然晕倒了。 (keel over)
In the scorching heat, the girl in delicate health keeled over.
8. 在过去的5年中，城市不断地朝四周无序蔓延。 (sprawl)
Over the past five years, the city has been sprawling out to all directions.