1. To conquer the language barrier ,they are working hard at English.
2. The teacher is deeply impressed by the students’ ability to s urf the Internet.
3. Nowadays many of the seniors are beginning to consider
choosing a career.
4. The Spring Festival was approaching . A lot of people we re traveling back home to have a family reunion.
5. He looked out of the window, surveying the landscape of th
6. We are confident that we can overcome the difficulties.
7. Tom is the most brilliant graduate of this year at Harvard
8. He shifted impatiently in his seat during the long speech by the Dean.
9. College has helped Bill to broaden his interests.
10. Words that obscure the truth must be discarded.
Vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 1. Since China has entered the WTO, the restrictions on foreign
businesses will gradually be reduced.
2. The Internet enables us to explore the world without leavin
3. The problem with some of these drugs is that they are so accessible.
4. The government has produced a series of materials to restricti on public awareness of the dangers of AIDS.
5. Within 2 weeks of arrival all foreigners should register wit
h the local police.
6. When he was offered the opportunity to have an online degre
e program, he seized it immediately and enthusiastically.
→译文: 当得到机会攻读在线学位时，他高兴地立即就抓住了这个机会。7. No restriction was put on the access to the BBS. Our purpose is t o promote interaction between the students and the teachers.
8. Exchanging houses for a few weeks is a good way of havin
g a holiday.
9. The team members working on the project meet every Tuesda y afternoon to exchange their views.
10. All the materials collected for the research project on pollution are available to all the seniors at this college.
1. The Channel Tunnel is one of the biggest engineering projects ever undertaken.
2. He took it as an insult which wasn’t at all what I had intend ed.
3. As a freshman, you should get to know campus resources as soon as possible and make good use of them.
4. He had made many inquiries into the quality of the compute r before buying one.
5. Te police investigated many cases by following the footprint s left at the scene of the crime
. →译文: 警察通过跟踪犯罪现场的脚印侦破了多宗案件。
6. I’m thinking of buying a car. Can you recommend a good make to me?
7. Not only does Mary attend class regularly, but she also participates in extracurricular activities frequently.
8. With the rapid development of the economy, all aspects of our life have changed a great deal.
9. Tom is such a nice guy. He will not hesitate a moment to offer help when you are in trouble.
10. This system is extremely economical because it runs on half-price electricity.
1. When they arrived there, he lay on the floor, his nose bleedin
2. I think she’s right but somehow I’m not completely sure. →译文：我想她是对的，可不知怎的，我又有点不确定。
3. I’d appreciate it if you would turn the radio down.
4. We were greatly amused to hear about his sitting on the wet paint.
5. Britain’s poor economic performance was a cause for the
flowing public concern.
→译文：英国糟糕的经济表现引起了公众越来越多的关注。6. It amazed us to hear that you were leaving. Why not tell us a bit earlier?
7. You needn’t worry about him. This kind of medicine will help t o heal his wound soon.
→译文：你不必担心他，这种药将能帮助他很快愈合伤口。8. I’m afraid I’ve chipped a piece out of this saucer.
9. She has got used to sucking milk through a straw though she i s only two months old.
10. The old woman had to support her family by washing a heap of dirty clothes every day though she had suffered a deadly disease. →译文：尽管这位老妇人患有绝症，但是她还不得不每天洗一大堆衣服来支撑她的家庭。
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv 1. The first-aid instructor demonstrated the correct wa y to bandage a wound.
2. How can you accept the defeat so passively? Why don’t you try again?
3. Although she has a wealthy background, she would like to earn enough money to be financially independent.
4. You should plug rubbers in your ears when you swim.
5. Twelve people constitute the jury in a law court to listen to the facts about a crime and to decide whether the person accused is gui lty
5. It’s the money that spurs these fishermen to risk a long ocean journey.
6. A good teacher should stimulate students to come up with original ideas and inventions.
8. With the rapid development of the economy, our mode of life has changed greatly these years.
9. She studied almost constantly for the big test, more than
12 hours per day for nearly a month.
10. Mr. Selby is seriously ill and has been transferred to
1. Friends visit him occasionally at the weekends.
2. 2. She encountered an old friend unexpectedly in the theat re.
3. Motioning to the best students to come forward, the teache r introduced them to the dean.
4. I incline t o take the opposite point of view. You may disagree i
f you wish.
5. Our principle Problem was lack of time to review the details of our plan.
6. I can’t recall the exact details of the report. It was much too long.
7. Can anything replace a mother’s love and care?
8. The class was not in my major so I had only a few acquainta nces in the room.
9. He was barely old enough to drive a car at the time of the a ccident.
10. She was most upset that you couldn’t come to her birthday par y.