Dating with My Mother (Part One)
After 22 years of marriage, I have discovered the secret to keep love alive in my relationship with my wife, Peggy. I started dating with another woman.
It was Peggy's idea. One day she said to me, 'Life is too short, you need to spend time with the people you love. You probably won't believe me, but I know you love her and I think that if the two of you spend more time together, it will make us closer.' The 'other' woman my wife was encouraging me to date is my mother, a 72-year-old widow who has lived alone since my father died 20 years ago. Right after his death, I moved 2,500 miles away to California and started my own life and career. When I moved back near my hometown six years ago, I promised myself that I would spend more time with mom. But with the demands of my job and three kids, I never got around to seeing her much beyond family get-togethers and holidays.
Mom was surprised and suspicious when I called and suggested the two of us go out to dinner and a movie.
'What's wrong?' she asked.
'I thought it would be nice to spend some time with you,' I said. 'Just the two of us.'
'I would like that a lot,' she said.
When I pulled into her driveway, she was waiting by the door with her coat on. Her hair was curled, and she was smiling. 'I told my lady friends I was going out with my son, and they were all impressed. They can't wait to hear about our evening,' Mother said.
Exercise 1: 1. c 2. a 3.b
1. What would make the speaker closer to his wife, Peggy?
2. What do you know about the speaker's mother?
3. Which of the following adjectives best describes Peggy?
1. She suggested that her husband spend more time with his mother. She said to her husband, "Life is too short, but you need to spend time with the people you love. You probably won't believe me, but I know you love her and I think that if the two of you spend more time together , it will make us closer."
2. 1) ...she was waiting by the door with her coat on and she had her hair curled.
2) She had told her lady friends about this.
Dating with My Mother (Part Two)
We didn't go anywhere fancy, just a neighborhood place where we could talk. Since her eyes now see only large shapes and shadows, I had to read the menu for both of us.
'I used to be the reader when you were little,' she said.
第 1 页共23 页