How did the war, which brought terrible disasters to mankind, impact on such
2. 做母亲的有时候不能察觉她们所宠爱的孩子们的过错，这样做的结果会使孩子们再次犯同样的过错。（be blind to）
Mothers are sometimes blind to the faults of their beloved children, which will cause the children to make the same mistake again.
As a new immigrant in this completely strange country, she always felt isolated.
4. 做事不先考虑周全常会导致失败，因此我们应该三思而后行。（result in, act before thinking）
Acting before thinking often results in failure, so we should think before we leap.
5. 奢谈的时候已经过去了，我们必须积极行动起来保护我们的环境。（take ... action）
The time for talking is past; we must take a positive action to protect our environment.
1. 记者敦促发言人就此次军事打击作出解释。（to press for）Reporters pressed the spokesman for an explanation of the military attack.
His election campaign failed to convince the voters that he was the right person for the Senator.
While I admit that there are problems, I don't agree that they cannot be solved.
His first speech on TV made a deep impression on his audience.
5. 一切事物都是互相联系又互相作用的。(to interact with)
All things are interrelated and interact with each other.
1. 思想是通过语言来表达的。（by means of）
Thoughts are expressed by means of language.
2. 我今年买的新书多得难以数清。（keep count of）
I have bought so many new books this year that it's really difficult for me to keep count of them.
3. 这位老太太确信今天她儿子会回家来为她庆祝生日的。（feel assured）
The old lady feels assured that her son will come back home today to celebrate her birthday.
His mother insisted that his pocket money should not exceed 100 yuan per month.
We bought a car last month, which was registered under my name.
1. 这只乐队二十世纪八十年代凭借那张专集一举成名。（shot to fame）The band shot to fame in the 1980s with that single album.
2. 冒一下险吧，你可能还是会输，但赢的机会增加了。（take a risk）Take a risk, and you may lose again, but you have improved your chances to win.
3. 科学家正极力研究治愈艾滋病（AIDS）的良方。（push ... to the limits）
Scientists are pushing themselves to the limits in their researches for the cure of AIDS.
4. 现在我们知道了网络的意义：鼠标一点就能知晓天下大事。（point）Now we could see the point of the Internet: we can get information from all over the world just by clicking the mouse.
5. 一些人认为政府迟早将会使克隆人类的研究规范化。（regulate / sooner or later）
Some people believe the government will regulate the research of human cloning sooner or later.
1. 知道原理是一回事，但要付诸实践又是另外一回事。(it's one thing ... it's another ...)
It's one thing to understand the principle, it's another thing to put it into practice.
2. 据报道，慢跑(jogging)可将患心脏病的可能性减少三分之二。(less likely)
It is reported that jogging makes you three times less likely to suffer from a heart attack.
3. 根据最新调查，半数英国人不清楚欧元与英镑的比值。(to have no idea / in relation to)
Almost half of the British people have no idea what the euro is worth in relation to the pound, according to the latest survey.
4. 这片土地本应建成一个供大家享用的公园，但现在却立起了几栋公寓楼。(should have done)
The area should have been made into a park for everyone to enjoy but now some apartment buildings stand there.
5. 不知道所有这些相关信息能否凑成一幅关于他的清晰图画。(to add up to)
I'm wondering whether all the related information could add up to a clear picture of him.
1. 他悲叹一声，对我们说他年轻时也曾风光一时。(to breathe a sigh of / to have seen a better day) He breathed/heaved a sigh of sorrow and told us that he had seen a better day when he was young.
2. 他有极强的责任感，这就是为什么他被选中掌管这个项目。(to take control of)
He has a strong sense of responsibility, and that's why he is chosen to take control of the project.
3. 不管你去哪里，不管是出差还是去玩，尽量多了解那个地方总是一个不错的主意。(be it ... or ...)
Wherever you go, be it for business or pleasure, it is always a good idea to find out as much as you can about the place.
4. 我们得小心一点，同样的情景可能就要出现。(to be about / to repeat)
Let's be careful. The situation may be about to repeat itself.
5. 事实上，室内空气质量与儿童的健康密切相关，当然与成人的健康也有关系。(for that matter) In fact, indoor air quality has a great deal to do with children's health, and adult's health for that matter.
1. 许多人认为这种药有助于睡眠，而我只能暗自感叹：“要是他们知情就好了。”(all I can think / if ... only)
A lot of people believe that sleeping pills help them sleep. All I can think is, "if they only knew."
2. 他一直在琢磨这个问题，直到把它完全解决为止。(to chip away at)
He always at cut and polish this problem, until resolve completely it.
3. 这位乡下孩子接触到了城里的种种陌生的事物。他感到十分惊讶，仿佛自己进入了未来世界一般。(to be exposed to / as if)
The country boy was exposed to many strange things in the city. He felt greatly shocked as if he had entered a future world.
4. 大学毕业才一年，他就从一个追求梦想的青年变成了一个凡事都无所谓的庸人。(to go from ... to ... / to pursue)
Within only one year after graduation from college, he went from a student who pursued his dream to a person who didn't care about a thing.
5. 我已经获准进入那个地区进行采访，这可不是人人都能得到的机会。(to be given permission
I have been given permission to do the interview in that area, and that's not something that everyone gets.
1. 同这个案件相比，最近几个月的盗窃事件不值得一提。(pale / in comparison)
The thefts in recent months paled in comparison with the case .
2. 那次交通事故虽然已经过去了好几年，但他还是摆脱不了负疚感。(to shake away)
Several years have passed since the traffic accident, and he still can't shake away the guilty feeling.
3. 尽管我们提出了降低成本的建议，董事会的成员们似乎没有认真考虑。(to appear / to take ... seriously)
Though we had put forward the proposal to reduce cost, the board members didn't appear to take it seriously.
4. 周围的山坡已经变得光秃秃的，但这并没有使村民们想起保护环境的重要性。(bare / to remind)
The bare hills around haven't reminded the villagers of the importance of protecting the environment. 5. 办公室里可能再不会响起他那爽朗的笑声了。(unlikely / to ring)
It is unlikely for his hearty laughter to ring in our office again.