I 1. 1)respectable 2)agony 3)put down 4)sequence 5) hold back 6) distribute 7) off and on
8) vivid 9) associate 10) finally 11) turn in 12) tackle
2.1) has been assigned to the newspaper’s Paris office.
2) was so extraordinary that I didn’t know whether to believe him or not.
3) a clear image of how she would look in twenty years’ time.
4) gave the command the soldiers opened fire.
5) buying bikes we’ll keep turning them out.
3. 1)reputation, rigid, to inspire 2) and tedious, What’s more, out of date ideas
3) compose, career, avoid showing , hardly hold back
II http://m.sodocs.net/doc/50fa73e8102de2bd960588d6.htmlpsed 2.severe 3 agony 4extraordinary 5 recall 6 command 7 was violating 8 anticipate
III 1 at 2 for 3 of 4 with 5 as 6 about 7 to 8 in, in 9 from 10 on/upon
I Cloze A (1) hold back (2) tedious (3) scanned (4) recall (5) vivid (6) off and on (7) turn out/in (8)career B (1)last (2) surprise (3)pulled (4) blowing (5)dressed (6)scene (7) extraordinary
(8) image (9) turn (10) excitement
1. 1) As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as Mother told me to.
2) His girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid of his bad habit of smoking before it took hold.
3) Anticipating that the demand for electricity will be high during the next few months, they have decided to increase its production.
4) It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules. /Bill is said to have been fired for continually violating the company’s safety rules.
5) It is reported that the government has taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a -severe water shortage. /The local government is reported to have taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
2. Susan lost her legs because of/ in a car accident. For a time, she didn’t know how to face up to the fact that she would never (be able to) walk again.
One day, while scanning through some magazines, a true story caught her eye. It gave a vivid description of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly inspired, Susan began to feel that she, too, would finally be able to lead a useful life.
I 1. 1) absolutely 2)available 3) every now and then 4) are urging/ urged 5) destination 6)mostly 7)hangs out 8) right away 9)reunion 10)or something 11)estimate 12) going ahead
2. (1) in the examination was still on his mind
(2) was completely choked up by the sight of his team losing in the final minutes of the game.
(3) was so lost in study that she forgot to have dinner.
(4) has come up and I am afraid I won’t be able to accomplish the project on time.
(5) of equipping the new hospital was estimated at $ 2 million.
3 1) were postponed, the awful, is estimated 2) reference, not available, am kind of
3) not much of a teacher , skips, go ahead
II collocation 1 to, 2 for, 3 at, 4 from, 5 in, 6 to, 7 on
, 8 with
1 more or less, 2. kind of/ sort of 3 Something 4 kind of/ sort of 5. more or less 6. or something
(1)choked up (2) awful (3)practically (4)neighborhood (5) correspondence
(6)available (7)destination (8) reunion (9) Mostly (10)postponing (11) absolutely
(1)how (2) saving (3)embarrassment (4)phone (5)interrupted
(6)touch (7)envelope (8)signed (9) message (10)needed
1、Half an hour had gone by, but the last bus hadn’t come yet. We had to walk home.
2、Mary looks as if she is very worried about the Chinese exam because she hasn’t learned the texts by heart.
3、Since the basketball match has been postponed, we might as well visit the museum.
4、He stayed in Australia with his parents all the way through World War II.
5、Since I graduated from Nanjing University in 1985, I have kind of lost touch with my classmates.
It is not easy to keep in touch with friends when they are far away. This is certainly true in my case.
It has been a couple of years since I left my old neighborhood and all the friends I had there. I’ve been meaning to write to them but something or other comes up and I just don’t seem to find the time. They are always on my mind, however, and I think I will certainly make an effort to keep up correspondence with them in future.
1 1) brief 2) in terms of 3) cut off 4) tend
5) anyway 6)precise 7)in the form of 8) initiative
9) convey 10) in two minds 11) concept 12) grasp
2 1) has ensured their team a place in the Cup final.
2)medical workers’ responsibility to heal the wounded and rescue the dying.
3)entertain as well as educate the learner.
4)can do without air and water.
5)is likely to be held in June.
31)lies in contact between
2)basis of is likely sufficient at the moment
3)the steady will be highly
II Word Formation
1 regained 2 undecided 3 undersupplied 4 disabled
5 precondition 6 foresight 7 mispronounced 8 enrich
1)majority 2) accpeted 3)increased 4)weaknesses
5) local 6) late 7)wrong 8)false
1)highly 2)bring about 3)evident 4)rate 5)sufficient
6)put across 7)proportion 8)Hence 9)ensure
1)understand 2)travel 3)practical 4)use 5)Another
6)likely 7)affect 8)developments 9)supply 10) Someday
1) As is predicted by scientists, global pollution has become one of the most serious problems humans are faced with.
2) Competition for these jobs is very tough –we have five times as many applicants this year as we did last year/ there are five times as many applicants this year as there were last year.
3) As the facts show, educational programs need to fit into the national plan for economical development.
4) The car burns too much gas, and moreover, the price i
s almost twice as much as I intend to pay.
5) To understand a great international event, we, first of all, need to consider the historical and political background to it.
2 It is hard to imagine how our forefathers could do without so many conveniences that modern technology has brought about. Back then only a small proportion of the population enjoyed the comforts of life. The majority didn’t even have sufficient food, not to speak of/ let alone the privilege of being educated. However, many people blame modern technology for creating so many problems. They want to slow down the rate of progress. But no one can put the clock back.
1) wreck 2) balance 3) approaching 4) handle
5) discard 6) Above all 7) diet 8) do with
9) checked on 10) cleaned up 11) weekly 12) principles
2. 1) to look for survivors were abandoned after it had been/was determined that all the people in the sunken ship had died.
2) was amazed that Bob left a well-paid job travel around the world.
3) for a loan has been turned down by many a bank as her business is small and she could provide no guarantee.
4) express her thoughts with precision, so people often misunderstand her.
5) will weaken our determination to modernize our country in the shortest possible time.
3.1) for sale hunting for be amazed by
2) become skilled handle their loans
3)character by calling on he passed away
II Confusable words
1. 1) personal 2) personnel
2. 1) sometime 2) Sometimes 3)some time 4) sometime
1)sponsored 2)determination 3) turned away 4) assumed 5) capacity
6)skilled 7)loan 8) character 9) hunting 10) for sale 11) send for
1)save 2)recent 3)modest 4) grow 5) dream
6) immigrants 7)business 8) engineering 9)invest 10) rich
1) It is reported that UN mediators have worked out a plan which they hope will be acceptable to both sides.
2) Doris walked in the forest cautiously, afraid of being attacked by giant snakes.
3) Earthquakes, typhoons and other natural disaters cannot be prevented, but action can be taken to protect life and property.
4) I bought a new issue of my favorite sports magazine and hurried home, anxious to amuse myself reading it.
5) Helen lacks confidence. I’ve never known anyone so unsure of herself.
After graduating from college, Tony decided to start his own business. At the beginning, many a bank turned down his request for a loan. But he was not a bit discouraged, and continued to call on one banker after another seeking help. Impressed by his determination and optimism, one banker finally agreed to loan him the money. Now he has become a wealthy businessman. Talking about his amazing achievement, Tony says that it is important to create rather than wait for opportunities.
I.1 1) monthly
2) acquaintances 3)classic 4) look; in the eye 5)manufactured 6) options 7)finance
8) replacement 9) survived 10) pick out 11) married 12) grabbed at
2. 1) survived a car crash that killed both her parents.
2) almost embarrassed to death when Sarah read my poem out to the whole class.
3) of the Children’s Hospital will care for the seriously injured pupils.
4) several phone calls making inquiries about the position of the Chief Financial Officer.
5) straighten out all your financial problems if you join our club.
3.1) inquiry; died of hunger; people survied2) Instantly; give up his; retire; replace him; executive 3) his beloved; odd jobs; and all that
II Word Formation
1. embarrassment 2. survivors 3. newly 4. marketable 5. monthly 6. competition 7. conceivable
1. the poor 2. The deceased/The dead 3. the disabled 4. the French 5. The accused 6. the young 7. the unemployed 8. the latter…the former…
1) died of 2) instantly 3) classic 4)ask around 5) surviving 6) retire 7)executive 8) replacement
9) stock 10) look…in the eye
1) impressed 2) diligence 3) Instead 4) Contrary 5) professionally 6) perform 7) personal
8) balance 9) commitment 10) revealed
1) I’m not sure where you can find a good carpenter---you’d better ask around.
2) Feeling a little embarrassed, he quickly cleared his throat and looked up at the painting on the wall.
3) Michael was survived by three sons, two daughters, and his wife Elizabeth.
4) As a financial expert, William advised us to invest our money in the stock market.
5) We small retailers can’t compete with supermarkets in pricing and sales.
My dad is a hard-working executive of a manufacturing firm. He works six days a week. Every day he has to straighten out various kinds of problems so that he often stays up late/nights. However, he tries his best to balance/maintain balance between work and family. On Sundays my dad usually stays at home and cares for us as much as he can. To my greatest joy, he cooks our favorite dished and plays ball with us.
Unit 6 The company man
1) Fertile 2) Reflected 3) Overseas 4) Slim 5) Split 6) Sustained 7) Glow
8) Thrust 9) Keen 10) Bud 11) Previous 12) Whichever
1) The sickly smell of carpets and furniture in the bedroom disgusts me.
2) Mary stopped corresponding with Henry after the death of her mother.
3) A radio transmitter is best located at an isolated place far from cities.
4) I was so absorbed in the game on TV that I didn’t hear Martin come in.
5) The rough surface of the basketball helps players grip the ball.
1) to broaden; make their way
2) disgusts; take a chance on
3) the grand; and overseas; reflected
1. 1) frightened 2) afraid/ frightened
2. 1) alike/similar 2) similar
3. 1) alive 2) living
4. 1) sleeping 2) asleep
) disappointed 2) disappointment 3) disappointing 4) disappoint
5) disappointingly 6) disappointing
2. 1) attractive 2) attract 3) attraction 4) attractively 5) unattractively
1) Identifying 2) gripped 3) margins 4)corresponding 5) overseas 6)little 7)hesitate
8)grateful 9) made my way 10) going my way
1)first 2)ring 3)Nor 4) another 5) threw 6) deliberately 7) reasoned 8) himself
9) restaurant 10) matter
1) Before I went off to university, my grandfather gave me a few words of wisdom which impressed me deeply.
2) Never tell my parents about my injuries and I’ll be very grateful to you (for it).
3) At the meeting some of our colleagues put forward sensible suggestions about improving our working environment.
4) The management has/have agreed to grant the workers a 10% pay rise in response to union pressure.
5) It was very thoughtful of the hostess to give the house a thorough cleaning before we arrived.
2. Not rich himself, Uncle Li never hesitates to help others. Previous to/Before his retirement, through Project Hope he located the addresses of two country kids who grew up in poor families but had a keen desire to study. From then on he sent them money regularly. Later the two made their way to college, and even got a chance to study overseas.
1. 1) go (very) far 2) has expanded 3) in the interest(s) of 4) only to
5) encountered 6) has cooperated 7) assessed 8) (had) switched
9) horizons 10) gaze 11) disaster 12) wiped out
2. 1) … a long/long running controversy over whether the book should be published or not
2) … felt relieved after her first meeting with Tom had gone smoothly
3) ... suddenly went wrong with my computer when I was in the middle of writing the essay
4) … is obvious that our company is still maintaining its composition as market leader in software.
5) … give in until they give her a pay rise
3. 1) have undertaken, original, to explore
2) evidence convinced, underneath, extending to
3) to negotiate, encounter, to figure out, explore
II. Confusable Words
1. firstly 2. first, first 3. At first 4. First/Firstly
5. first 6. First 7. at first 8. first
1. animal intelligence whose
2. zoo keeper where
3. eye contact through what
4. money supply of what
5. killer whale what kind
6. baby whale how old
7. family member of what
8. sea turtle what kind/where
1. (1) emergency (2) evidence (3) original (4) sizing up
(5) negotiates (6) reveal (7) make a deal (8) dominant
(9) in their interest(s) (10) deceiving (11) controversy
(12) judgment (13) explore
2. (1) protect (2) However (3) type (4) situation (5) sights
(6) together (7) rang (8) associate (9) without (
1. 1) A local business undertook the project but went bankrupt before it was completed.
2) Let’s make a deal—you wash my car, and I’ll let you use it tonight.
3) We got to the village which we thought must have been wiped out in the severe earthquake, only to find it slightly damaged.
4) My garden is dry and shady—few plants thrive in that condition
5) Mystery still surrounds the exact truth behind the film star’s death/exact circumstance of the film star’s death.
2. When I was young I used to visit the zoo in my hometown. There what attracted me most was a couple of tigers, especially the male. They were dept in a huge iron cage at first, but later were released from it and moved to a place called Tiger Hill. Twenty years later I revisited the zoo and was relieved to find Tiger Hill was still there, but greatly extended. Moving around now were six tigers, old and young, instead of two!
1 industrial 2.idle 3.is functioning 4.intellectual 5.scared 6.handful 7.luxury
8.private 9. work up 10. slice11. miracle 12. was jammed
1. to be seriously affected by the rise in gas prices。
2. is a matter of total indifference to me.
3. drove home the point that they needed extra people
4. was found after they searched for it for a long time
5. had run out of water by the time they got to the camp
1. manual and complex its financial
2. was very upset make a living by swore was/became much better off
3. handful ignorant of paintings/ works summed up
1. The young man made $5 an hour in his summer job.
2. What made you change your mind?
3. I’m sure Jason will make a good lawyer.
4. The vet put something down the dog’s throat to make it vomit.
5. The story makes interesting reading.
6. Five and five make ten.
7. On foot they can only make about 20 miles a day.
8. I don’t think she’ll ever really make it to the top
(5) developing developed
2(1) amazed(2) amazes(3) amazingly(4) amazing(5) amazement
(3) make a living by
(9) wake up
(1) dormitory (2) passing (3) leaping (4) department (5) burned
(6) destroyed (7) seriously (8) marriages (9) report (10) perspective
1) Without his personal file, an applicant can hardly expect to get/ be employed as a teacher.
2) With enough ice, we would be able to chill the drinks.
3) In my humble opinion, reading us the most pleasant way to spend one’s leisure.
4) Some people said it was simply a miracle that the American athlete Michael Phelps won eight gold medals at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games.
5) The washing machine has broken down, so we have to wash
our clothes by hand.
This morning I heard an interesting piece of news over my portable radio: a man of 36 and his son of 10 attend the same class competing with each other for high marks. The story goes/ It’s like this:
The man, Li Wei by name, was too idle to learn anything when young. With little education, with no useful skills, he could hardly earn an adequate living wage. His life experiences drove home to him the point that he had to acquire knowledge before he was able to accumulate wealth. So Li Wei swore that he would go to school with his son, determined to learn.