Unit 1 Growi ng Up
Part II Lan guage Focus
3. put …down
5. hold back
7. off and on
10. fin ally
11. turn in
1. has been assigned to the newspaper 'Paris office.
2. was so extraordinary that I didn 'know whether to
believe him or not.
3. a clear image of how she would look in twenty years ________
4. gave the comma nd the soldiers ope ned fire. _____
5. buying bikes we 'keep turning them out.
1. reputati on, rigid, to in spire
2. and tedious, What 'more, out of date ideas
3. compose, career, avoid showing, hardly hold back □.
6. comma nd
7. was violating
8. in, in
10. on/up on
Comprehe nsive Exercises
I . Cloze
1. hold back
6. off and on
7. turn out/in
10. exciteme nt
1. As it was a formal dinner party, I wore formal dress, as _______
Mother told me to.
2. His girlfriend advised him to get out of/get rid of his _________
bad habit of smoki ng before it took hold.
3. An ticipati ng that the dema nd for electricity will be high _______
during the n ext few mon ths, they have decided to
in crease its producti on.
4. It is said that Bill has been fired for continually violating _______
the compa ny 'safety rules. /Bill is said to have been fired for con ti nu ally violat ing the compa ny 'safety
5. It is reported that the government has taken proper ________
measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
/The local gover nment is reported to have _______________ taken proper measures to avoid the possibility of a severe water shortage.
Susa n lost her legs because of /in a car accide nt. For a time, she did n 'know how to face up to the fact that she would n ever (be able to) walk again.
One day, while sea nning (through) some magaz in es, a true story caught her eye /she was attracted by a true story. It gave a vivid descriptio n of how a disabled girl became a writer. Greatly in spired, Susa n bega n to feel that she, too, would fin ally be bale to lead a useful life.
Unit 2 Frie ndship
1. Fill in the gaps with words or phrases give n in the box.
3) every now and the n
4) are urging/ urged
5) desti nati on
7) hangs out
8) right away
10) or someth ing
12) going ahead
2. Rewriti ng
1) It seemed that his failure in the examination was still on _______ his mind.
2) He was completely choked up by the sight of his team ________ losing in the final minu tes of the game.
3) She was so lost in study that she forgot to have dinner. _______
4) Somethi ng has come up and I am afraid I won 'be able to accomplish the project on time.
5) The cost of equipping the new hospital was estimated at ______ $2 milli on.
3. Complete the senten ces.
1) were postp oned estimated the awful is
3) not much of a teacher skips ahead
6. to on
1. more or less
2. kind of/ sort of
4. kind of/ sort of
5. more or less
6. or something
not available an kind go