1. How did the war, which brought terrible disasters to mankind, impact on such a poet?
2.做母亲的有时候不能察觉她们所宠爱的孩子们的过错，这样做的结果会使孩子们再次犯同样的过错。（be blind to）
2. Mothers are sometimes blind to the faults of their beloved children, which will cause the children to make the same mistakes again.
3. As a new immigrant in this completely strange country, she always felt isolated.
4. 做事不先考虑周全常会导致失败，因此我们应该三思而后行。（result in, act before thinking）
4. Acting before thinking often results in failure, so we should think before we leap.
5. 奢谈的时候已经过去了，我们必须积极行动起来保护我们的环境。（take ... action）
5. The time for talking has passed, we must take a positive action to protect our environment.
1. 记者敦促发言人就此次军事打击作出解释。（to press for）
1. Reporters pressed the spokesman for an explanation of this military attack.
2. 他的竞选运动未能使选民相信他就是参议员的合适人选。(to convince )
2. His speech for the campaign failed to convince the voters that he was the right person for the senate seat.
3. While I admit that there are problems, I don’t think that they can’t be solved.
4. His first debate on TV made a strong impression on the audience.
5. 一切事物都是互相联系又互相作用的。(to interact with)
5. Everything interrelates and interacts with each other.
1. 思想是通过语言来表达的。（by means of）
1. Thoughts are expressed by means of language.
2. 我今年买的新书多得难以数清。（keep count of）
2. I can’t keep account of the new books I bought this year.
3. 这位老太太确信今天她儿子会回家来为她庆祝生日的。（feel assured）
3 This old lady feels assured that her son will come back soon today to celebrate her birthday.
4. His mother insisted that his pocket money should not exceed 100 yuan per month.
5. We bought a car last month, which was registered under my name.
1. 这只乐队二十世纪八十年代凭借那张专集一举成名。（shot to fame）
1. The band shot to fame in the 1980s because of that single album.
2. 冒一下险吧，你可能还是会输，但赢的机会增加了。（take a risk）
2. Take a risk, and you may fail another time. However, you would improve your possibilities to win.
3. 科学家正极力研究治愈艾滋病（AIDS）的良方。（push ... to the limits）
3. Scientists are pushing themselves to the limits in their way of curing AIDS.
4. Now we see the point of the Internet: you have the access to everything under the Sun merely by clicking the mouse.
5. 一些人认为政府迟早将会使克隆人类的研究规范化。（regulate / sooner or later）
5. Some think the government will give regulations to the research of cloning human sooner or later.
1. 许多人认为这种药有助于睡眠，而我只能暗自感叹：“要是他们知情就好了。”(all I can think / if ... only)
1. Many people believe this kind of medicine helps sleep. All I can think of is, “if only they knew”.
2. 他一直在琢磨这个问题，直到把它完全解决为止。(to chip away at)
2. He had been chipping away at the problem until it was solved completely.
3. 这位乡下孩子接触到了城里的种种陌生的事物。他感到十分惊讶，仿佛自己进入了未来世界一般。(to be exposed to / as if)
3. The country boy was exposed to many strange things in the city.He was very surprised as if he had entered a future world.
4. 大学毕业才一年，他就从一个追求梦想的青年变成了一个凡事都无所谓的庸人。(to go from ... to ... / to pursue)
4. It is within one year that she went from one person who pursued her dream to one person who cared about nothing.
5. 我已经获准进入那个地区进行采访，这可不是人人都能得到的机会。(to be given permission)
5. I have been given the permission to enter that area and do the interview, and that’s not something that everyone gets.
1. 同这个案件相比，最近几个月的盗窃事件不值得一提。(pale / in comparison)
1. The thefts in recent month paled compared with this case.
2. 那次交通事故虽然已经过去了好几年，但他还是摆脱不了负疚感。(to shake away)
2.He still can’t shake away the guilty feeling even many years have passed since the traffic accident.
3. 尽管我们提出了降低成本的建议，董事会的成员们似乎没有认真考虑。(to appear / to take ... seriously)
3.Although we had put forward a proposal of reducing cost, the board didn’t appear to take it seriously.
4. 周围的山坡已经变得光秃秃的，但这并没有使村民们想起保护环境的重要性。(bare / to remind)
4.The hills around have become bare but that failed to remind the villagers of the importance of protecting the environment.
5. 办公室里可能再不会响起他那爽朗的笑声了。(unlikely / to ring)
5.His hearty laughter is unlikely to ring in our office again.