1. 这场给人类带来巨大灾难的战争对这样一个诗人产生了什么影响呢？（impact on）
How did the war,which brought great disasters to mankind,impact on such a poet?
2. 做母亲的有时候不能察觉她们所宠爱的孩子们的过错，这样做的结果会使孩子们再次犯同样的过错。（be blind to）
Mothers are sometimes blind to the faults of their belove children.which will cause the children to make the same mistake again.
As a new immigrant in this completely strange country,she always felt isolated.
4. 做事不先考虑周全常会导致失败，因此我们应该三思而后行。（result in, act before thinking）
Acting before thinking often results in failure,so we should think before we leap.
5. 奢谈的时候已经过去了，我们必须积极行动起来保护我们的环境。（take ... action）
The time for talking is past；we must take a positive action to protect our environment.
1. Take two pills each time and three times a day and you will be well in a few days.
2. He is not impatient；he is just too tired.
3. Once water shortage reaches the point of no return, there will be nothing left to be done but abandon the city.
4. We’d like to share our experience in city planning with every representative here and show them what is special of our innovations.
5. We can’t just sit back and do nothing about increasingly serious traffic problems.
1. 记者敦促发言人就此次军事打击作出解释。（to press for）
Reporters pressed the spokesman for an explanation of the military attack. 2. 他的竞选演讲未能使选民相信他就是参议员的合适人选。(to convince )
His election speech failed to convince the voters that he was the right person for the Senate seat.
While I admit that there are problems,I don't think that they can't be solved.
His first speech on TV made a deep impression on his audience.
5. 一切事物都是互相联系又互相作用的。(to interact with)
All thing are interelated and interact with each other.
1. She might have thought that history was just boring names and dates, but Professor Yi’s lectures completely changed her view
2. After the plane crash, all the survivors could do was wait for rescue on this desert island.
3. The little boy happened to read some stories about Bermuda Triangle that did stir his curiosity in the mysteries of nature.
4. The DNA test result was evidence to the police that the murderer was someone else
达尔文坚信进化论（the theory of evolution）的基础是物竞天择。
5. Darwin was convinced that the theory of evolution is based on natural selection
1. 思想是通过语言来表达的。（by means of）
Thoughts are expressed by means of language.
2. 我今年买的新书多得难以数清。（keep count of）
I have bought so many new books this year that it's really difficult for me to keep count of them.
3. 这位老太太确信今天她儿子会回家来为她庆祝生日的。（feel assured）
The old lady feels assured that her son will come back home today to celebrate her birthday.
His mother insisted that his pocket money should not exceed 100 yuan per month.
We bought a car last month,which was registered under my name.
1. For most American teenagers, when it comes to comfortable and fashionable clothing, nothing beats T-shirts and jeans.
2. Starting in 2004, Addidas widely promoted that “Impossible is nothing,” and the notion took hold
3. When the news was first released online, the number of its viewers beat the imagination
4. The girl’s big break came with her outstanding performance at the singing contest
5. In many European countries people tend to frown on smoking in public places
1. 这只乐队二十世纪八十年代凭借那张专集一举成名。（shot to fame）
The band shot to fame in the 1980s with that single album.
2. 冒一下险吧，你可能还是会输，但赢的机会增加了。（take a risk）
Take a risk, and you may lose again, but you have improved your chances to win.
3. 科学家正极力研究治愈艾滋病（AIDS）的良方。（push ... to the limits）Scientists are pushing themselves to the limits in their researches for the cure for AIDS.
Now we could see the point of the Internet: we can get information from all over the world just by clicking the mouse.
5. 一些人认为政府迟早将会使克隆人类的研究规范化。（regulate / sooner or later）
Some people believe the government will regulate the research of human cloning sooner or later.
1. He is a legend with the biggest gate website in China to his name.
2. At the beginning of the twentieth century, Einstein shot to fame after he published a series of articles on the Theory of Relativity.
世界卫生组织（WHO ）正在敦促成员国采取有效措施阻止禽流感的蔓延。3. The WHO is urging its member countries to adopt effective measures to keep bird fluat bay.
4. Like it or not, the traditional Chinese culture is invaded by foreign cultures. 你不应在实验还没有做完就抢先下结论。
5. You should not jump the gun in drawing the conclusion before your experiment is finished.
1. 知道原理是一回事，但要付诸实践又是另外一回事。(it's one thing ... it's another ...)
It's one thing to understand the principle, it's another thing to put it into practice.
2. 据报道，慢跑(jogging)可将患心脏病的可能性减少三分之二。(less likely)
It is reported that jogging makes you three times less likely to suffer from a heart attack..
3. 根据最新调查，半数英国人不清楚欧元与英镑的比值。(to have no idea / in relation to)
Almost half of the British people have no idea what the euro is worth in relation to the pound, according to the latest survey.
4. 这片土地本应建成一个供大家享用的公园，但现在却立起了几栋公寓楼。(should have done)
The area should have been made into a park for everyone to enjoy, but now some apartment buildings stand there.
5. 不知道所有这些相关信息能否凑成一幅关于他的清晰图画。(to add up to)
I'm wondering whether all the related information could up to a clear pictuie of him.
1. It's one thing to recognize the importance of saving energy, it's another to put it into practice in every aspect of life.
2. The sales manager believes that clever is not clever if the new product doesn’t sell well
3. He kept on making up excuses for his failure to finish the task as if a thousand lies would add up to the truth.
4. It is found from the investigation that the longer people stay in a store, the less likely they are to control their desire for purchases.
5. I believe that someone as diligent as she is will soon overcome difficulties in the study of English.
1. 他悲叹一声，对我们说他年轻时也曾风光一时。(to breathe a sigh of / to have seen a better day)
He breathed a sigh of aorrow and told us that he had seen a better day when he was young.
2. 他有极强的责任感，这就是为什么他被选中掌管这个项目。(to take control of) He has a strong sense of responsibility, and that's why he is chosen to take control of the project.
3. 不管你去哪里，不管是出差还是去玩，尽量多了解那个地方总是一个不错的主意。(be it ... or ...)
Wherever you go, be it for business or pleasure, it is always a good idea to find out as much as you can about the place.
4. 我们得小心一点，同样的情景可能就要出现。(to be about / to repeat)
Let's be careful. The situation may be about to repeat itself.
5. 事实上，室内空气质量与儿童的健康密切相关，当然与成人的健康也有关系。(for that matter)
In fact,the air quality of a house has a great deal to do with children's health,
and adult's health for that matter.
1. Do you know what it is like to stand on a stage with all eyes on you?
2. We all breathed a sigh of relief when news came that the hostage was rescued unharmed.
3. With his professional knowledge in finance and skills in management, he quickly took control of the situation.
4. What became clear to me finally was this: they were not actually interested in the solution of the problem
5. Wherever he travels, be it a business trip or a sightseeing tour, he would always take a notebook PC with him